Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad...Spider??!!

So I just had to share this story with you because I knew you would all get a kick out of it.  Today I was teaching a group of children outside while they were working on writing the story of The Three Little Pigs with the use of conjunctions.  If you don't know what a conjunction is you seriously need to get a hold of School House Rocks--Conjunction Junction, what's your function?  Anyway (before I get anymore geeky and sidetracked) the kids were working very hard when all of a sudden I spotted a spider crawling on a poll only a foot away from me.  Let's just say that these little Italian children never saw an American move so fast.  So much for coming from the all powerful, dominating country of the US.  I'm not afraid of much.  Skydiving, bring it on!  Bungee jumping, why not?  Travel across the world to a foreign country all by myself, I'm game.  Spiders, however, are not to be messed with!  Anything that has 8 fury, quick little legs that can hide in unsuspecting places ready to launch a surprise attack should be avoided at all costs.  Needless to say, I wasn't about to go back teaching the children while that spider sat by idly staring me down with its beady, blood thirsty eyes.  I'm still shivering at the thought of it.  Luckily, my night in shining armor came to the rescue in the form of my nine year old Italian student named Pedro.  While laughing at me, he took the spider into his hand and threw it far away.  It was kind of hard to resume authority as a teacher after that little episode, but I managed after one of my other little students whispered to me, "Don't worry, I'm scared of spiders too!"  Nice to know I share the fears of a nine year old girl.  Oh well, crises averted!

No comments:

Post a Comment